AFBS Info: DDoS* attacks targeting banks
The AFBS has been made aware via the EBA Cyber Expert Group that ongoing DDoS* attacks with related blackmailing are targeting banks in Switzerland. It seems that the attacks exclusively target the financial sector and that several banks have been targeted / have suffered attacks.
Please note the following points:
- Additional attack with blackmailing are reporting, going back to 13 August 2020
- Attackers seem to target small-sized banks preferentially
- MELANI has reported about ongoing DDoS attacks targeting banks
- Upon demand by a large Swiss bank, FS-ISAC set up a task force on 19 August 2020
- The campaign is reportedly running since 11 August 2020, targeting mostly American (based) banks
- The attacker is said not to be Fancy Bear, but most probably a copy-cat
- No huge / long-lasting DDoS attacks have been reported so far
No information regarding the detailed content of the blackmailing message is available.
* DDoS : Distributed Denial of Service is a cyber-attack in which the perpetrator seeks to make a machine or network resource unavailable to its intended users by temporarily or indefinitely disrupting services. This is typically done by flooding the internet facing network services of the target/victim.
In order to establish a network among the AFBS for the sharing of IT security relevant information please indicate the person in charge within your organisation to firstname.lastname@example.org. We will create an AFBS Group on Cyber Security and thus be able to distribute information in a more targeted manner in the future.
If you have questions / further information on this or any related attack please contact your IT security partner. If you would like to share information with the AFBS members please contact email@example.com at the Secretariat.
Thank you in advance.